Thursday, May 23, 2013

Old Timer

I was talking/gossiping with a woman at work today about how we have so many new people at our office that we don't even know who is who anymore.  Like not sure if this person is a new employee, or visiting from another office or ...??   Even our management changes fairly frequently, as we apparently don't actually hire people, but borrow and shuffle people from office to office within the district.  I used to know everybody, but now....not so much.

But what's even more disturbing is that a lot of our new employees are younger than my children.
Oh my God!!!  I am a relic around there anymore.  I feel these young folks wanting me to retire ( or die) so they can move up, and take over my position.  Circling my body like vultures...LOL!  I'm not kidding that some of them have asked when I plan to retire.  I wish that I could....retire, that is.  Not die.  But I have 5 more years unless by some miracle I get offered an early out.  Or win the lottery.  The lottery would be preferable, but I think you have to buy a ticket to win.  We buy a random occasional ticket when the jackpot is large enough to make the news, but it's not something we do often.

Oh well, I just wanted to share that bit of weirdness.  One day I was one of the regular crowd, knowing everybody by their first names, their spouses and children's name.  And then one day the majority of my regular gang has moved on, retired, and I am one of the old timers.  It's so strange.  Like I woke up in somebody else's life.  But whatever.  It puts me closer to that glorious day when I walk out of that building forever, so I will take it.  And who knows....maybe I am just getting senile and I forgot that I know these people.  Maybe they aren't "new" at all.  Now that's a scary thought.  Haha!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner