Friday, August 10, 2012

Sometimes it's the little things....

It hasn't been the easiest day so far.  It is not, by far, the WORST day ever, but still....My sister is having some difficulties and as usual, when the going gets tough, she gets going....into hibernation mode.  Which is mostly fine, because it seriously is her way of dealing.  I mean, she has enough on her plate to not need to worry about MY worrying.  And I know that, but at the same time, I haven't slept well this week.  I feel sad and worried and helpless.  She needs space and time to process and I need to talk and be reassured that things are going to be ok.  But I am doing my best to hold back and let her have the freedom to not talk until she is ready. 

And I also am still dealing with this weird low grade virus thing that has my throat feeling like I swallowed a bag full of broken light bulbs.  And I am just so freaking tired.  One would think that at some point, when you get so dang weary that the Universe might look down upon you and cut you an inch of slack somewhere.  Like maybe the cats could feed themselves for a day, or the laundry might magically end up clean and folded.  Or at the very least, work could cooperate by not sucking for just 1 single day.  But apparently not in reality.  Because work sucked as long and as loud and as hard as it possibly could today.  And I had a semi-minor problem with my car as the cherry on top of a day that made me want to ....I don't know what I wanted.  Partly to throw a huge hissy fit of "this is so not fair" anger.  Partly to roll on the floor and weep until the cruel Universe would finally recognize my weariness and cut me that slack I was hoping for.  What actually happened was that I sucked it up and kept on keeping on.  I finished the work day and came home.  Kind of anti-climatic for a woman in the mood to have a gigantic sh&t fit, huh?

But things improved a bit.  My husband met me at the door with pizza.  Not that I was particularly craving pizza but still.  Being exempt from having to cook, or even think about what to cook for dinner was wonderful.  And Stephen and Hannia came over for a bit.  They were bringing back a borrowed cooler, but stayed and chatted with me for a while and it cheered me up considerably.  And then I opened up my email to find a fairly long and descriptive email from Erica about her week, and I was cheered even more.  She stays busy, so she always emails, but sometimes it's brief.  I always cherish the longer ones that fill me in on some details of her life in the UK.  And somehow, with this small handful of little things, I started to feel better.  And I remember exactly why I keep on keeping on when I want to lie down, give up and cry myself a big ol' river.  Its because no matter how crappy the day, there are still hidden little gems that make it all worth it. 

Also?  It is Friday and that helps too.  LOL.  I hope you all have a safe fun weekend ahead.....I hope to catch up on sleep, kick this sore throat bug to the curb and figure out how to stop letting life's inconveniences trip me up so badly.  I want to be strong, stedfast and unflappable.  And not a single one of those words pertain to any aspect of my true personality....sigh.....Oh well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner