Monday, April 9, 2012

Thoughts

Easter is over, and ours was uneventful, but restful. Fine by me. The weather was, and is absolutely gorgeous. Sunny, low 70's, no humidity. Perfect. I spent a good while out in the backyard just enjoying the sunshine.
Bruce had yardwork to do, but I asked him not to. Yardwork on Easter Sunday just feels wrong. I grew up in a family who thought doing much of anything on Sunday was wrong. Even non-working things like going to a movie. My parents believed in keeping the Sabbath, and it drove me insane. I promised myself never to do that to my family, but still....Easter is 1 day a year and mowing the lawn just seems like it could wait.

Speaking of the Sabbath, we watched a History Channel version of The 10 Commandments yesterday. Some Easter special. It brought up a lot of misinterpretations, and human revisions that have altered the meaning of a lot of things over time. For instance, taking the Lord's name in vain. Using God's name in conjunction with a curse word....not what it meant. That was an invention of our lovely Puritan ancestors. Its crude and vulgar, for sure, but still...NOT in violation of the 10 Commandments. Apparently, the original meaning had to do with using God's name outside of the temple/church and trivializing it. The narrator pointed out that invoking God's name at every sporting event is probably much more a violation than saying, "G*dd*ammit" when you stub your toe.

It was also pointed out that the Sabbath was intended to be Saturday, too, but was changed to honor the Ressurection, which means that every Sunday is sort of a mini-Easter celebration in theory. But anyway, it was very interesting and Easter-appropriate.

So, I'm off today after having worked Saturday (I had to work on the actual Sabbath...oh my!). I have a long list of things to accomplish, so I pretty much ought to get started. There are errands to run, things to do.....but at least its a beautiful spring day, so I am going to try and enjoy it. It looks like it turns quite a bit colder during the rest of the week, like the weather just can't make up its mind. But still, I will take it. Anything that doesn't involve 100 degree temps and 100 percent humidity and I will gladly deal with it any day of of the week.

So I hope everybody has a lovely week ahead. We are in a countdown until we get to see Erica. Less than 2 weeks away and I can barely contain my excitement. Oh, and do you like the cute little spring owls theme I found? I moved the blog specifically so I could change the template frequently, so I am trying to take advantage of that. Hannia has a thing for owls, and really, they are so cute!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner