We are back from our trip to the UK to see our daughter Erica, who moved there back in November to do a Post Doc at York University. I have missed her terribly, but being able to see her, in her new environment has done a lot to help ease my mind. York is incredible. It is quaint, beautiful, historic, and maybe most important to me as a Mother...its extremely safe. Crime is almost non-existent and what does go on is of the pick-pocketing/theft variety.

But anyway, I have a few tips to pass on to any friends or family who want to go over for a visit. Erica would LOVE to have you, so if you can make the trip then please do. The most important thing to pack is a sturdy pair of walking shoes. York is a walking city. A good part of the City Center is cobblestone roads that are mossy, slippery and uneven. Shoes need to be water-resistant, comfortable and slip resistant. Forget pretty, forget high fashion and for God's sake do NOT attempt heels. I had a pair of black leather Bass shoes with a thick rubber sole that did the trick nicely. Forget sandals, and canvas or mesh sneakers, too. It rained every day that we were there. Not all day, but still....it was wet the whole week.

Tip number 2....layers!! Be sure to pack clothes that can be layered easily. Its quite chilly outside (and damp), but for some reason all of the public buildings (pubs, restaurants, museums, shops...etc) are seriously overheated. It was like that almost everywhere we went. I wondered if the reason was to help keep things inside dry against the continous dampness. Erica supposed that the Brits get tired of being cold outside and insist on excessive warmth inside...??? I don't know the answer to that one, but trust me when I say you will have to come out of all but the lightest layers when indoors if you want any degree of comfort.

Another important bit that might come in handy? Erica WILL tell you that a destination is only 5 minutes away whether its 2 blocks away or 3 miles. She walks everywhere (or bikes), is in fantastic shape, and I don't think she realizes how far some things seem to an almost 50-ish person who lives in a town where cars are generally necessary. I definitely need to work on my stamina and endurance. It was exhausting but we were so enthralled with how much there was to see and do that somehow I managed to push through the pain and keep going.

We toured all the highlights from York Minster (awe-inspiring), to Clifford's Tower, to the Chocolate museum. We crammed so much into our week there that my mind is still spinning. The one thing that we didn't get to do (sorry Chelsea) was make it out to the University, so I did not get pictures of Erica's lab. Hannia says she thinks she might have a couple though, so she is going to check and make sure. We just ran out of time, and even Erica admitted it was a long haul away from the City Center....she even said at least 30 minutes. And considering some of the places we walked that were supposed to be 5 minutes away, I shudder to think what a 30 minute hike might be in Erica-terms. LOL. Scary. But anyway, I have some more stories to tell, and pictures to share over the next few days. But what I most want to say is this: Erica is happy there. She lives in the heart of everything going on in the historic part of the city. She has made friends and is nowhere ready to leave the UK just yet. And while I miss her, I think I totally understand after visiting. Its just awesome, and I am happy that she is happy. The weather kind of sucks. Chilly, and damp...but still...its fabulous and interesting enough to don a raincoat, grab an umbrella and go on without letting the weather interfere. I can't wait to go back for another visit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner