Friday, May 4, 2012

Food! York part 2



Here's a bit about the food around York.  We tried some of the local cusine.  And while some of it was ok, some of it was not really our cup of tea.  Pasties are common (pronounced Pah-stees).  They are flakey like croissants and filled with all kinds of stuff....beef, chicken, cheese and onion.  We had those for lunch our first day there and they were decent.  I probably wouldn't crave them, the seasoning is pretty bland.  But it was fine.  There were things that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, too, though.  Like black pudding....made with blood.  Bruce actually tried this, as a small piece of it came with his traditional Yorkshire breakfast that he had for brunch one day (I had eggs benedict as I am not very adventurous when it comes to things like that).  He said it tasted like regular sausage, but he only ate a tiny bit because while the taste was fine....the IDEA was not.

Bruce had what we THINK was a gall bladder attack early on in our week, which scared me to death.
He was in so much pain on Sunday night that I was searching the internet for hospitals at 2am.  Luckily it never came to that, but Monday morning left him exhausted and not feeling up to doing anything.  So Erica took me out to the place pictured above.  Its a pub called "The House of Trembling Madness"....LOL.  I LOVE that.  We had an early lunch there...a beef and Belgian beer stew served in a bread bowl, and a platter of cheese, ham, and more ham....and just another bit more ham just in case we hadn't had enough ham.  It was pretty good, but I think I was disconcerted by the collection of dead animal heads staring at me while I ate. 

We finally gave up on the more traditional Yorkshire foods.  Well, we did have fish and chips which was good.  But I eventually went to a more vegetarian diet and found plenty of good things to eat.  If you go, you HAVE to go to Betty's Tea Room.  We had dinner there one evening, and its so much fun.  Formal tea services, complete with silver strainers...Oh My!  But I also had a tomato, pesto and mozzerella sandwich and was in heaven.  Oh, and the Indian food was delicious too!  I am generally NOT a fan so much here, but its different there.  Much more yummy.  We had Korma and Tiki Marsala, and while I normally wouldn't be thrilled with that, it was absolutely yummy.  Definitely try the Indian food there.

All in all the food was fine.  There is enough diversity to keep anybody satisfied.  There was even Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Burger King and KFC although we never visited those places.  I refuse to eat in a place that I can visit while I am home when I am on vacation.  And keep in mind that York has LOTS of chocolate shops, a chocolate museum (with lots of tasting), and also plenty of treats like this:

We had this sweet little treat at the York Museum, and yes....it was every bit as good as it looks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner