Thursday, May 17, 2012

Blood tests

So my first visit with the new Dr. was fine.  She seems really nice.  She wanted to get a baseline of tests and EKGs and things because its been a year since I had any of that done.  Then she wants me to go have more things done, mainly a mammogram....but that will be after we get through all of this.  I figured it was all routine.  They drew what seemed like a gallon of blood (but its hard to tell since I don't look....I do fine unless I look, so I don't).  I was told to come back in 2 weeks and sent on my merry way.

4 hours later, while I am just hanging out enjoying my afternoon, I got a call from the nurse, who sounded all urgent and official and stuff.  She said that my liver enzymes were elevated.  And that I need to stop taking all meds right away.  And avoid alcohol (which really isn't an issue as I barely ever drink anyway).  And to NOT take tylenol, ibuprofen, or any kind of OTC medication, herbal supplement...etc.  And then she proceeded to read off a list of things that IF I should notice, then I should head to our ER immediately.  ?????  Ok, so the minute you say something like that, OF COURSE I start feeling symptoms of every single thing she said....well, except I didn't FEEL yellow eyes.  I might have imagined them for a second though.

But anyway, it is a little scary.  I have followed the instructions to the letter because I realize that the liver is a pretty important organ.  I have to go in again on Monday and have more blood tests done, but probably won't see the Dr. that day.  Hopefully they will have the results as quickly as they did this appointment.  The nurse mentioned hepatits (no way...there is NO way I could have contracted that), and that they may be testing for that if these new tests aren't normal.  Who knows....

I did go online and read a little bit about elevated liver enzymes.  Some of it was quite scary like liver cancer, pancreatitis...etc.  But people who had those awful things had OTHER symptoms, and I have been basically ok.  A little back pain.  A little fatigue.  Nothing out of the ordinary for me.  So....?  I have decided not to read anything else for the moment.  I am going to assume that the meds I was taking (including prescription ibuprofen and a muscle relaxant for my back) were responsible.  And if thats the case, things should be fine since I have stopped taking them. 

But I want to say this....if its the medications, then I am a little pissed.  My old Dr. prescribed the ibuprofen 800 mgs, and the muscle relaxants BY THE YEAR, meaning 12 refills at a time.  And I have been taking them for 2 years now.  Because my back pain is an ongoing issue for me.  But still...if its dangerous, and elevated liver enzymes seems to qualify....shouldn't someone have told me???  Like use with caution or ONLY if needed...etc?  Besides, I haven't taken any of them since that phone call on Monday and the truth is that my back is only marginally more painful without the meds than with.  Like they really weren't doing much good, and I was poisoning myself for no good reason.

Ok, so yeah....I am thinking that switching to a new Dr. was probably a good thing.  And from now on, I will be asking questions before taking anything.  And trying to find ways of dealing with pain that does not involve taking a pill.  Maybe I will even try out some acupuncture, get back into yoga, or who knows....I will be looking for ways to manage pain that does NOT include liver damage.  So, thats what is going on.  I am just waiting for the test on Monday and hoping (feeling very hopeful actually) that this was just a wake up call to make some life style changes.  Send me some happy, lucky vibes if you have any to spare!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner