Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hannia's Birthday.

Yesterday was my daughter-in-law's birthday. She was driving home from Charlotte (her Dad had some surgery and she was there all week), so I didn't know if she would be up to doing anything last night. Funny enough, though, one of her presents Stephen had ordered came yesterday morning so they came over anyway. Their mail still comes here, you know. They had enough problems with the change of address from Indiana....and with not knowing how long they may stay here in Gville, changing it all again was just too much. But tonight we celebrate properly. It's raining, and I had hoped we might cook steaks on the grill, but whatever. I can do them inside on either the griddle or the broiler.

But the thing I am most excited about is the cake...I did it entirely from scratch. Even the frosting. It's a tres leches cake (3 milks) only with strawberries too. We had this for dessert (well one that I HOPE will be like this) that was so delicious when we all went to Loquillo, Puerto Rico. IF I get lucky and it tastes as good as I want it to, I will share the recipe. The cake soaked overnight in a mixture of regular milk, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk, (hence, the Tres Leches part). It's definitely not a diet cake. It has strawberry jam filling, and homemade whipped cream frosting (heavy cream....yikes. LOL), and fresh strawberries on top. Oh please, dont disappoint me cake. I want you to be rich, and sweet and creamy for the birthday celebration.

Anyway, it's been a cold, rainy, dreary day but I have been too busy with celebration preparations to notice. That's a good thing. The only thing driving me nuts is our youngest cat, Bitty. She loves to be outside, in the cat-safe enclosure. But it's raining, so she has begged to go out, begged to come back in all the while looking at us with disdain as if we put the rain there on purpose to make her life miserable. I just hope she will go take a nap soon. Whoever said cats sleep 18 hours a day did NOT send Bitty that memo........

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner