Saturday, June 2, 2012

Android Addict

Well, I might officially be an addict. My new phone is life altering. I made the (extremely HARD) decison to go with the Android platform over the iPhone. I LOVE my iPad. Like totally smitten. So it was something I thought long and hard about. I researched a lot. And I ended up with the Motorola Electrify for a couple of reasons. The first being Apple's insistence on making their batteries unremovable. Smartphones EAT batteries and I want to keep a charged spare, just in case. Also, we have no Apple store nearby. And secondly, I love Androids' customizable features. So....? I am not disappointed. My first forays into the Smartphone arena was an HTC. It was the touch pro 2 and I ended up despising it with a passion. When the hateful thing died (stuck in calling my husband's number repeatedly unless I took out the battery) I went back to a more basic talk and text LG. It had limited Internet meaning I could do anything as long as I didn't go over 50 mbs a month. Honestly, it was so tricky to navigate that I never even came close. Email was easy enough to check, but anything else was click-intensive. Still it sufficed, although I had phone envy a lot of the time. Phone envy with a heaping helping of bad memories of that HTC. The thing that pushed me over the edge towards trying again? Needing a phone that will also work in Europe for when we visit Erica. I borrowed Stephen's phone for this last trip, and we really did need it. The apartment we rented did not have a landline. We texted Erica a lot to coordinate where to meet or have lunch...etc. Plus, when Bruce got sick and I thought I might need a cab to the ER...well, not having a phone puts you at risk. But my 'Droid? Oh my...the apps available. I can use it as a GPS in my car. I can read a book on ANY e-reader platform (I prefer Kindle but there is a Nook app). I can make grocery lists, and to do lists...and all of it can be done by voice command. I just tell it and it will write my lists, emails, texts all with amazing accuracy. Well, my phone apparently can't spell Cilantro and insists on typing out Salantro. But still, I am in awe. I am also pleased with the battery life so far. With a battery-maximizing app, I seem to be able to get 1 and a half days. And that's using the phone a LOT as I am still setting it up and figuring it all out. I ordered a spare though, just in case. Anyway, I am very pleased so far. The sound quality is wonderful, call reception has been flawless. If I have any complaint at all, it might be that it doesn't pick up wifi as well as my iPad or laptop. It will switch back and forth from wifi to data usage in a couple of spots here in our house. A signal booster would help, but I just make sure I have a strong wifi connection before downloading any data hogging apps. I am happy with it. It's a good choice for me. Now, if only I can get my husband to come out of his "phones are for talking only" clinging to the dark ages.....then I could send him to do lists and updated grocery and shopping lists so easily. That might be one reason he is avoiding upgrading...LOL. Resistance is futile!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner