Saturday, June 16, 2012

Conscious Consumerism

So, on my Facebook news feed today a picture showed up posted by a woman who runs a local business here in Greenville.  This person is conservative, and this I know for a fact by the continuous stream of liberal-bashing diatribe.  But whatever.  She is not liberal and I am.  So what?  I have non-liberal friends, and they are decent, kind human beings who happen to have a different political view.  But this....this was not just a political view.  This was inflammatory and ugly.  It was racist and ignorant.  It made me feel sick inside and dirty for having seen it. 

My question is this:  Would you want to know this about a place of business before you spend your money there?  Would it matter to you that your dollars are being given to somebody who harbors abject hatred towards specific groups of people?  Or would you just consider money for goods or services rendered a fair trade no matter what lies behind the business transaction? 

I have to think about this for a while.  I KNOW that I would NOT want to do business with people who have racist ideas, and who propagate hatred towards others.  That is not what I need to think about.  But I feel like people NEED to know.  I mean, she posted it on Facebook for God and everybody to see it, so apparently I wouldn't be revealing a deep dark secret.  But I need to figure out the best way....a way to inform people that won't bring out the crazies in droves to tell me why racism is perfectly justifiable. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner