Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Day of Summer

June 20th.  First day of my LEAST favorite season.  Seriously, can we just skip this part and pick up in September with cool crisp air, and the hint of sweaters and boots on the horizon?  Oh, who am I kidding, it wasn't cold enough for either sweaters OR boots for more than a handful of days over our entire winter this past year.  September temps hang in the mid-80's.  In fact, we spent a week at the Outer Banks late last October and it was still comfortable to swim.....Apparently, I live in New England in my mind.  LOL. 

On the other hand, even in the death heat, I begrudgingly admit there are a few things to not loathe.  Things like watermelon, and cherries.  And I do like longer days (wish we could just keep daylight savings time ALL year long).  Still, those few things aren't worth the heat and the bugs and snakes and mosquitos.  Yeah, lets just skip over it.  It is SO NOT worth the hassle.

We are barreling towards what is also my least favorite holiday:  July 4th.  Its in the middle of the week this year, and I am probably not going to be taking any time off from work.  No point really.  My husband and I no longer have any desire to travel during that month, particularly that specific week. Traffic, crowds, heat....no thanks.   Its one of the perks of having grown kids and no longer being tied to school schedules.  Spring and autumn vacations are much more comfortable and laid back.  We always have this 4th of July celebration downtown on the Town Commons....we sometimes go to the fireworks at the end, after dark.  There is all this stuff going on, live entertainment, food etc....but it is always just so boiling hot that it is impossible to enjoy the daytime festivities. 

We are breaking our 'no travel in the summer' rule for our anniversary this year though.  We had to.  It will be our 30th Anniversary, and that is an accomplishment we want to celebrate.  Bruce booked a fabulous place on the Canadian side of Niagra falls.  We have always wanted to see the falls, but just never got around to it.  My parents had their honeymoon there so it has a certain significance to me because of that.  I am pretty excited about it.  Our suite is on the upper floors of the Hilton with spectacular fall views.  Its something to look forward to to hopefully get us through the sweat and drudgery of the next month.....

This is where we will be:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner