Sunday, July 1, 2012

Heat and Hoarders.

I am trying HARD to stop complaining about the heat.  Its brutal.  Friday, on my route, I wasn't sure that I was going to make it.  And I was sick and fatigued until about 11pm Friday night.  It took that long to get over it.  It scares me.  If I didn't have to be out in it, if I could hibenate in AC, it might not have such an impact, or take such a toll.  But this kills people and I am more afraid of excessive heat than any other weather. 

That having been said, I made it my goal yesterday to NOT leave the comfort of my house.  I achieved my goal, too, except for a brief 30 second step out onto the front porch to say good-bye after Stephen and Hannia dropped by for a visit.  Stephen has just gotten his hair cut, and its super short.
Shorter than he has ever had it in his adult life, but I like it and its appropriate given the heat. 

Today I haven't been quite as lucky.  I had errands that HAD to be run.  We had lots of errands, but we split them up....Bruce is just about to leave to go do his part.  My list included PetSmart, because we can't find high quality grain-free cat food anywhere else.  Omen has grain allergies, so care must be taken when trying anything new.  She LOVES her some Fancy Feast, but that stuff makes her break out in itchy spots.  I am sure she wishes it didn't, but I wish chocolate didn't make me fat.  It is what it is. 

So there I was in PetSmart when this nice older lady informed me that the litter I was buying was on sale at Food Lion.  I KNOW we pay too much for litter, but really, with 4 cats it is imperative that the stuff works like it is supposed to.  Odor control, and scoopability are worth it, plus my cats are picky.
We started chatting, this nice lady and I, and she asked how many cats I had.  I sheepishly replied "4", and saw this look come over her face.  I figured she was shocked, and was labeling me as the crazy cat lady that I know that I am.  But then she said, "Oh!  I am into the double digits!" and laughed as if I was a non-pet loving newbie.  LOL.  But then she went on to tell me a heartbreaking story.  She said that after her husband died, and having no children, she surrounded herself with her cats.  They were her family.  And then people started dropping unwanted and starving kittens off in her yard.  Before she knew it, she had 40 cats. 

She then said, with no shame or guilt, that her priest, psychologist and vet intervened, homes were found, and she now has a mere 17.  I asked her how she managed, but she just laughed and said that the cats managed her.  Oh my!  I think she is a bona fide hoarder.  She didn't look like a hoarder.  She was neat, clean and stylish.  She said she was 74, but looked more like early 60's.  She had on a cute outfit, had a funky/cool short pixie-like haircut.  We discussed more cat stuff.  Like vets.  The way she talked at least her cats did receive decent vet care.....She scoffed a bit at our choice of vet.  I mean, I do realize that Dr. Kuhn is not for everybody.  There is affordable care that I am sure is adequate, but our vet goes above and beyond.  She is expensive but hands down the best in our area.  People complain that she runs too many tests, and treats animals more like children....but we like that.
I imagine if I had 17, or God forbid 40...Dr. Kuhn's care would be out of reach financially.

I was a little bit sad for this woman.  And a bit disturbed as to how much I could relate to the story...the compelling need to not let any animal suffer.  I just want to put it out there that I don't want that to happen to me.  Dr. Kuhn has cut us off...as far as cats go.  She laughingly, but seriously, has advised that 4 cats is enough.  Plus, Vixen has such a hard time adjusting to new animals in the house.  She hid for 4 months when I rescued Mama Kitty.  We have promised ourselves that we will not put her through that again.  I need to remain diligent and vigilant to not let myself go there, EVER.  I wish this woman the best though.  She seemed to at least be capable of listening to advice and acting on it.....she did get rid of some of cats, but still...I have NO idea how we would manage 17 cats.  The feeding, the litterboxes, the vet trips....Oh My Lord!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner