Sunday, July 22, 2012

Say Good-bye to the Weekend

It's been a strange weekend.  I am having some issues again with my foot....The Dr. said the tendon problems would likely reoccur occasionally, but if I take some preventitive measures quickly that I could probably head it off before it got really bad.  So I have spent most of this weekend back in that bulky, heavy boot cast.  I slept in the night splint.  I am hoping not to have to take time off of work though, so hopefully I can get by with taping the offending foot up and wearing good shoes during the day and spending the time at home in the boot.  One issue that I have is that "good" shoes does NOT equal "cute" shoes.  Insert long heavy sigh of the soul here.....But whatever.  I am going to do what I need to do so that I will hopefully be ready for my vacation without pain, or a boot cast.  This time around I am not able to take any kind of anti-inflammatory meds, including ibuprofen, so I am going to have to utilize as many non-medication treatments as I can.  I went out today and bought new, ultra-padded sneakers with excellent arch support.  My old ones were pretty worn, and the padding was no longer cushy.   Hopefully it will help.

And then there was the shooting in Aurora, Co.  I am at a loss for words on this one.  It is so senseless, and so sad.  I can't even begin to comprehend being in a situation like that.  And I have no idea what the answer to tragedies like this might even be?  I know it has sparked all kinds of debate over gun control.  People who are for it, and people against it.  I am not a fan of the NRA.  I think lobbying should be illegal.  Period.  Tougher gun control is not a problem as far as I am concerned.  But on the other hand, my husband has wonderful memories of skeet shooting with his Dad.  He is a responsible gun owner.....so???  Maybe the answer lies in mental health education, availability of treatment, getting over the stigma.   Again, I don't know if even that would have helped.  This young man was bright, was never in any kind of trouble....were there any indicators that would have been helpful in determining he was a risk?   I don't know.   I don't know if anybody knows.

So the weekend was spent wearing this boot, and trying to keep this foot up while watching way too much coverage of the tragedy.  We had storms both days, so being outdoors wasn't really possible.  I am ready for summer to end.  I want to walk without pain.  I want the world to be safe for me and for my family to be able to go out for a movie or other entertainment without fear.....and I don't really know how to achieve any of it.  My heart is heavy and sad tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner