Tuesday, July 24, 2012

On Missing Erica

If you know me at all, then you know that my daughter Erica is working in England for 3 years.  I talked to her this afternoon, and she is doing well, having fun, but not loving the work.  C'est la vie....not many of us love our jobs.  But the people, the experience....all of those parts of her life in the UK have been wonderful so far.  And I am glad.  But I miss her, you know?  Like really, really miss her sometimes.  Not that she has lived at home in 10 years, not since she went away to college.  But at least she was close enough to run up for a weekend, for shopping and dinner.  But England requires a substantial chunk of time away from work and a large expenditure of money just to get there. Its not something I can just get a wild hair about, drop everything, and run over for a couple of days.  That part makes me sad. 

But we still talk a decent amount.  She keeps me mostly up-to-date on what is going on in her life by email.  We Skype at least once a week, and sometimes we call.  Today I confessed that while I KNOW she wanted to experience life in another country at this perfect time in her life of being young, and single, and unencumbered....sometimes I have self doubts that whisper in that part of my brain that NEVER shuts up that if I were a better mother, my child would not feel the need to leave the country.  She laughed and said of course thats not the reason....but still....whatever the reason, whether its because I was a sucky parent, or she just wants to live someplace else for a change of pace, it doesn't stop my missing her. 

She will be home for Christmas, and I am excited about that.  And then....we are going to have to plan another trip to Europe next year.  I would say we will go to England again, but Erica has suggested maybe someplace else.  Maybe we can meet and visit in a place that is not chilly, damp and raining....LOL.  Because honestly?  As much as I had fun exploring the quaintness of York, it pretty much was chilly and raining the whole entire time.  I suggested that she make weather a consideration for her second Post Doc.  Stephen and Hannia, after enduring an Indiana winter, have vowed before God and everybody that weather will definitely be a consideration for them from here on out.  And speaking of that, both of them seem to actually enjoy this heinous heat we have had this summer.  Maybe I should spend some time in the Mid West this coming winter so I can learn to appreciate something that I despire.  Maybe????

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner