It was mid-80's here today and that seems obscene for the first day of spring.
Hateful, unfair, and vomitable even. Ok, so I KNOW some of you who live in cooler climates welcome the warmth and the sunshine. I get that, I really do.
But for those of us who live in hot and humid hell for much of the year, I can't agree with you. It sucks big time. And all the hot, humid suckiness means that we really only need light long sleeves and the occasional light jacket during the winter. I have stopped buying true winter clothes, as we rarely need them. What I DO need? Shorts. And short-sleeved tops. Casual things. Maybe its because I HATE the hot weather so much that I loathe shopping for things like that. I like jeans and sweaters and boots.....And maybe because I loathe buying things that I don't really want (although NEED) to wear, I haven't really bought shorts or summer clothes for a while.

But anyway, the warm weather forced me to re-evaluate the summer wardrobe sooner than expected. My shorts are faded and threadbare and basically only fit to be worn for housecleaning or yardwork. I did run out for a while on Sunday only to be reminded of one of the reasons that I hate shopping for shorts. There should be 3 basic lengths.....short, medium and long. But for the most part I found lots and lots of super short, and super long and only a precious few medium lengths. It goes without saying that at my 40-something soon to be 50ish age, short shorts are out of the question. In my opinion they should be out of the question for anybody over the age of 25...30 only IF you have an amazing body. Not that what I think stops anybody from wearing them, but I no longer go out in public that way. I used to...but not anymore. It would be wrong on so many levels.

Its the long bermuda frumpy things that annoy me even more. Not seeing them on anybody else...that doesn't bother me. I would rather see knee-length frumpiness than expansive yards of wrinkly flesh any day of the week. But they are just terrible on me. I swear I age 30 years just walking by the racks of them at the store. So heinous. I need something in the 7-9 inch inseam to hit me at the right spot on my thigh. Most of what I found was a 3-5 inch inseam or 12-13 inches. Oh my Lord....it was frustrating. I finally found a couple of pairs that didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out...but 2 pairs are not going to take me through the spring, summer and fall. I don't know. I guess I will end up having to go back out and try again. Hopefully they haven't put all of the summer stuff out in the stores yet...? Hopefully there is way more coming in the near future. The ones I did find were a boring khaki (yawn), and red. And I bought them even though I recall my daughter having some kind of phobia about red pants. I hope shorts don't count.....? Because with the scarcity of decent casual summer clothes around here, I feel sure I am going to have to wear them out of necessity.

I wish I could rely on simple skirts and dresses, but not for work. As a mail carrier, we DO wear shorts when its hot (rural carriers like me do NOT wear uniforms which is glorious considering that I am certain that I would burst into flames like a vampire in sunlight if any part of that ugly blue uniform ever touched my body). But skirts or dresses? Not happening, not with the kinds of things that I have to do. There is no way to be lady like lifting and bending and stretching....or driving on the wrong side of the car with your legs spread (OMG)...or dashing down somebody's front steps with a huge dog chasing you. Nope...its gonna have to be shorts even as bad as I hate them. Somehow, somewhere I have got to find some good ones. And tops to go with them, too...which is a tall order. Send me some lucky vibes. I don't know when I will have the time to go shopping again, but I am going to have to make the time soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner