Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Perfect Day

Oh yeah. He's still got IT!



Yesterday was perfect. Amazing, even. Why can't there be more days like that? Although I guess it wouldn't be amazing then...just normal. But anyway, a few months ago, Greg told us that Elton John was coming to Raleigh to the RBC (Now the PCN) center. We didn't jump on it at the time. We were in the middle of trying to plan a trip to visit Erica, not sure of our dates for that....and besides, we just saw him in Asheville not all that long ago. But I thought about it, and finally started worrying about it. I think, every single time that we see him, that it might be the last time ever. He is in his 60's now, and didn't he claim to be retired at one point? So I finally told Bruce that I wasn't going to be happy not seeing him when he was nice enough to come to Raleigh.

So, we got tickets later...but managed to get good seats. Then I started worrying about dinner plans (see an ongoing theme here? I do a LOT of worrying. Always!). Friday night in Raleigh is a challenge even without a big event going on. On Thursday we checked online, called around and everything near RBC/PCN center was booked solid. We ended up calling Brasa, a Brazilian steakhouse that came highly recommended by Stephen and Hannia. Its nearer to the airport, but still...not too terribly far. I was pleased to get Friday reservation. Even more pleased when we got there.

First off, Brasa has valet parking which was wonderful considering the little shopping area it is in had NO open parking spots when we drove in.
Secondly, the food was awesome. It has a gourmet buffet with amazing things like shrimp croquettes, cinnamon fried bananas, and Caprese salad.
There was smoked salmon, huge boiled shrimps, a tray of sushi and so much more...I would have been completely in heaven with just the buffet, and you can order just that. But I wanted to experience it fully, so we ordered the full deal. You have a rock by your plate painted green on one side and red on the other. When you turn it to green, waiters with huge fire-roasted skewers of meat walk around and put slices onto your plate. In all there were 13 kinds of meat. There were quite a few cuts of beef from filet mignon, to top sirloin. There was pork tenderloin, chicken, lamb and sausages. You could pick and choose or try everything. We didn't make it even close to everything because we got so full. I especially steered clear of the Brazilian delicacy of chicken hearts....but honestly, this place was amazing, the staff very attentive...it was fun and indulgent, and we will definitely go back again. I seriously might just have the buffet next time though...so delicious.

We made it to the arena just in time. And Oh My LORD...Elton was fantastic.
Captain Fantastic. He played for over 3 solid hours with no intermission. The theme of the night was greatest hits, so song after song was our favorites. The audiences' favorites...he is a consumate performer. The crowds LOVE him. He had the same band, and the same backup singers that we saw in Asheville (I LOVE that the drummer, Nigel Olson, and guitarist Davey Johnston are from his original band he put together in 1969!!!). He also had two young men from Croatia who did the opening act, but also stayed onstage and played all night. They called themselves the 2 Cellos. And they played...wait for it....Cellos. LOL.
Seriously though, they were so good. They played Nirvana, and U2...and much more...on Cello and it was beautiful. We enjoyed them a lot.

And yes, I never ever get tired of Elton John's live performances. Last night was as amazing as the first time I ever saw him. It was almost 1:30 in the morning before we got home, and that is way past my bedtime. But it was definitely worth it. I just hope I get to see him live again. If he tours anywhere nearby, I will be there. Thank you Elton John for being the background soundtrack of my life. You have been my favorite since as long as I can remember.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Errors Have Been Made © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner